Monday, February 25, 2008

Terzo Tempo

I love soccer. I feel it perfectly balances simplicity and complexity. What I mean by that is all you need is a ball and some open space. This makes it simple. But at the highest levles and on the greatest stages, soccer is a complex combination of physical endurance and ability, psychological mindgames, and of course intelligence. The complexity of soccer is best demonstrated during 11 v. 11, full field soccer. People may argue that other forms of soccer, such as futsal, beach soccer, or others with the same general principles are also as complex as the 11 v. 11 version. Yet, competition in these forms have not been as thoroughly developed and therefore still have a long ways to go before ever being evenly compared. Proper soccer, in my view, is 11 v. 11 and must be played for a minimum of 90 minutes.

I do not enjoy watching any one type of soccer. Different styles of play are interesting to watch, especially in direct contrast. Though I disagree with the idea that short passes or long passes should be one dominant style of play for a full 90 minutes. There are many different techniques, styles, and approaches for soccer and I feel a mixture of them all is what makes the really great games. In some instances, short passes may be the way to go, in other cases, playing it long will do the trick. But what about medium passes? Slicing through balls that can disassemble defences? Chipped passes that turn defenders into pylons? They should be used as the scenario dictates.

I feel the same way about the players. I liked to see a variety of skills on display by any given player. At the highest level of soccer, players should be well practiced in every aspect of the game. Every player should be two footed. Every player should have an accurate and potent shot. Not every player will be equal in all attributes, but they needed to be versatile in their approach. Much like musicians that play many instruments or a mathematician who employs countless formulas; that is how I expect the greatest players and teams in the world to perform.

My nickname is ‘Terzo Tempo’. I have taken it from Serie A’s new formality that requires players to line up at the end of a match to exchange mutual respect between opponents. Until recently, this formality was only required at the start of play. But many of us that watch soccer regularly know that many things can change over the course of 90 minutes. Wealth of emotions are bursting from every player with a central desire to win expressed by all participants. I feel this new addition is an intelligent step to help keep the beautiful game, beautiful. No more carrying grudges from bad tackles, or refereeing calls that did not go one particular way. After the match, regardless of the outcome, respect is exchanged between opponents who can take a minute from their adrenaline and self-pride and realize that the game is bigger than them. Win or lose; forgetful performances or memorable ones; the game entertained people around the world and was an important exercise in the power of sport. It displayed polished skill, high-class competition, and team unity. No one watches soccer to see grown men arguing with themselves or with the one man charged with keeping it all honest.

I practice what I preach. I play soccer with the upmost respect to my opposition. I do not cheat, bicker, or verbally attack officials. I play with a team; I’m not a solo act. And above all else, I play to best of my abilities because that is what the game requires.

5 comments:

Melina said...

"No one watches soccer to see grown men arguing with themselves or with the one man charged with keeping it all honest."

And yet there seems to be more arguing, bitching, whining and complaining on the pitch then ever before. For once I'd like to see a defender who's fouled an attacker in the box just accept the fact that the ref has awarded a penalty.

There are so few players today who keep their mouths shut and who don't dive. What's even more frustrating is that in Serie A, some of the greatest talents (Ibrahimovic, Mutu and Cassano immediately come to mind) are the worst offenders. Thank the football gods for guys like Andrea Pirlo and Alex Del Piero.

terzo tempo said...

Good move closing with those final two names. And I have seen on many occasions when defenders have taken fouls, serious ones at that, and have just put their head down and taken the punishment (red card, spot kick) without a word. In the heat of the moment, it is hard to realize when you are wrong. Other times, in the case of professional fouls, you rarely see arguing.

Spangly Princess said...

hehe are you suggesting that Del Piero doesn't dive?? seriously?

Melina said...

I suppose I did suggest that. And I suppose it is a silly suggestion. There's probably not a single striker who wouldn't go down in the box too easily if he though he could draw a penalty.

Nevertheless, I would certainly put Del Piero ahead of the others I mentioned in terms of classiness.

terzo tempo said...

Yes, Del Piero does make the most of tackles. Like all strikers, when they feel contact, they will go down, especially if they have no other options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

But I am tired of the English claiming their good ol' boys never go down. And it's the 'other' European and Southern American countries that go down easy and ruin the game.

Watch the clip. Tell me what you think.